CLICK HIGHLIGHTED WORDS TO OPEN A LINK.
you are planning an independent, overland, research, filming, documentary, business, or any other trip to Mozambique:
- on your own and need a guide/driver/manager
- or in a group and need a guide/driver/manager
- or in your own 4x4 (or group of 4x4's) AND NEED A 4x4 SUPPORT VEHICLE
- or in a hired 4x4 (or a group of 4x4's) AND NEED A 4x4 SUPPORT VEHICLE.
- or you would like to hire me (Mike Slater) and my 7-seater 4x4 Toyota Condor RV.
you would just like me to show you some of my favourite historical, scenic, wildlife, archaeological, architectural, beach or other 'secret' spots in Mozambique.
- you DON'T have your own camping, recovery, medical (and other) equipment.
- you DON'T want to go on the usual 'tired' guided tours.
- you DON'T want to visit just the usual 'trodden' tourist destinations.
- you DON'T want to have to drop off (or collect) the rental vehicle at the rental depot (I will do this for you).
- you DON'T want to bring along your own camping and safari equipment, food or anything other than your clothes, camera and curiosity.
- you DON'T want to spend time purchasing supplies and organizing meals for your trip.
Take me (and, if necessary, MY SUPPORT VEHICLE, and some or all of my equipment) with you (see my fee below).
Yes, it will still be completely your own trip, but I will help with route planning, budget, accommodation choice and itinerary and I can also supply all the necessary camping, safari and other useful equipment.
With due regard to your budget, interests and schedule I can also offer advice and tips regarding choices of route, places of interest, accommodation options and advice regarding activities SUCH AS documentary filming, location scouting, geological and engineering surveys, scuba diving, surfing, sea-kayaking, game-viewing, off-roading, fishing, birding, natural, historical, cultural and architectural interest and dhow trips.
Before you arrive in Mozambique or South Africa I can buy supplies, plan meals and then arrange to collect you ANYWHERE IN SOUTHERN AFRICA in your OWN 4x4 OR RENTAL VEHICLE OR MY TOYOTA CONDOR 4X4.
This gives you the freedom and convenience of being able to fly in to any part of Mozambique and its surrounding countries with all your land-based requirements already taken care of.
I will meet you at any airport ready to go anywhere.
Why take me with you?
- I have a 7-seater Toyota Condor RV 4x4 that can be used as your support vehicle or rented with me as driver/guide.
- This may be your first 'off-road' trip and you may not want to spend a lot of money on equipment.
- You may be on your own or concerned about the safety of your family members (my young sons have always joined my own trips without incident).
- I have my own 'special spots' in Mozambique that only I can show you.
- I have a huge knowledge of almost every aspect of Mozambique from tourism to tourmalines and from culture to calamities.
- My home language is English (and Afrikaans) but I speak Portuguese and can make myself understood in three other local languages (Tsonga/Changana, Sena and Swahili), as well as in German.
- In 1994, my first 'Guide to Mozambique' was published by Struik (Cape Town) and my Globetrotter Guide to Mozambique (New Holland) is now in its 5th edition and I am continually updating it.
- I have a full set of the Mozambique 1: 250 000 topographic maps, as well as many of the 1: 50 000 sheets, and I know how to use them. Yes we can still get lost, but only if I want you to.
- I can give you the added security and peace of mind that comes with traveling with 'an old Africa hand' who is comfortable dealing with (possible) situations and discomforts such as malaria, unsafe water, river crossings, encounters with wild animals, obstructive traffic police, warm beer (or wine), bush-camping, medical emergencies and evacuation, vehicle breakdowns and accidents, border bureaucracy and camp cuisine.
- I have family, friends and contacts (such as missionaries and hunters) throughout Mozambique, South Africa, Swaziland, Zimbabwe and Malawi who I can call on for assistance before (for advice) and during (for help) our travels in Mozambique and neighbouring countries.
- With over a hundred thousand kilometers traveled in Mozambique by motor vehicle, bus, truck, motor boat, donkey cart, dhow, dugout, kayak, bicycle, airplane, helicopter and on foot, I am hugely experienced and competent regarding just about all aspects of travel in Mozambique.
- Over thElement Selectione past 20 years I have spent an accumulated period of over 6 years traveling throughout Mozambique, mainly to the more remote and little known regions.
- I can provide a 7-seater 4x4 vehicle, full camping safari gear including tents, mattresses, bedding, fridge/freezer, Invertor or mains electrical power, bag showers, folding toilets, cooking and eating equipment, food, chairs and tables, vehicle recovery equipment (spades, ropes, high-lift jack etc), Garmin GPS (with latest maps) and Jerry cans for fuel and water.
- In addition I will bring along a full set of mechanic's tools (I am a 'bush mechanic'), medical kit (I was a military medic), inverter for charging batteries and laptops, and sundry items such as headlamps, vacuum flasks, binoculars, coffee percolator and snorkeling gear.
- For special trips I have a small inflatable boat with 5HP outboard motor and/or paddles.
- I can take you into traditional villages; introduce you to cultural practices such as dances, divination (curandeiros) and herbal medicine.
- 'Special interest' groups such as birders, natural scientists, geologists, historians, film makers, journalists, curio collectors, hikers, mountaineers and 'aged hippies' can rest assured that I share their interests and can show them where to go or help them to find what they are looking for.
- If obtained from a reputable company (ask my advice) rented vehicles do offer the added advantage of having a replacement available in the event of a breakdown or accident.
- Don't forget that it will always be your trip. I (and if required, my support vehicle) will just be there to help make sure it is a safe, successful, comfortable, relaxing, extraordinary, and completely unforgettable trip.
- I can even bake bread and pizza and braai (barbeque) prawns and crayfish in the bush and wake you up with a cup of percolated coffee, but then the beers will be on you.
What are my Fees?
- Of course I would like to join you just for the fun of it, but I have to eat, and my kids have to go to school...
- so my fee, including any or all of my equipment, is US$200 per day PLUS ALL OTHER EXPENSES SUCH AS FOOD, ACCOMMODATION, TRANSFERS ETC.
- If my vehicle is needed, my fee is an additional US$100 per day, all inclusive (unlimited kilometres) EXLUDING FUEL COSTS AT US$0.20 PER KILOMETRE.
- Note that all of your own vehicle, or hired vehicle - related expenses are for your account.
MIKE SLATER. (aka 'Mozman' or 'The Mozguide').
Johannesburg March 2013.