MozGuide.com

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Trip Pafuri-Mapai-Machaila-Mabote-Vilanculo or alt

Trip Pafuri-Mapai-Machaila-Mabote-V​ilanculo or alt 1 year 7 months ago #9226

Hi,

we are planning a trip Mid September (around the 20th) 2013 with a rented and fully equiped (roof-tent, gps) Toyota Landcruiser from Kruger NP to the coast of Mocambique. We are not very experienced in driving 4x4.

Studying the map we see two possible routes from Kruger NP to the coast (Vilanculo) without taking the EN1 along the coast:

Pafuri (or Massingir) - Mapai - Domasse - Machaila - Mabote - Mapinhane
or

Giriyondo - Maccaretane - Nalazi - and than ???

So, in planning our trip we found your very usefull homepage and blog and we would like to take the chance to ask for your advice:

- Is it normaly possible to cross the Limpopo during that period (Mid/End of September)?
- Is the first route via Mapai to Mabote driveable and findable for those who are not really used to make these kind of trip (I made once a trip to Botswana by 4x4 with gps, but I have the impression that Mosambique is much more "wilder"...)?
- Is it perhaps possible to find a helping hand for the river-crossing (if necessary)?
- Would you recommend the alternative route via Maccaretane, while we actually not really know how to continue then in the best way?

Thank's in advance for your advice and best regards from Munich

Daniel
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Trip Pafuri-Mapai-Machaila-Mabote-V​ilanculo or alt 1 year 7 months ago #9227

Hi Daniel

Find my replies after your queries below"

Is it normaly possible to cross the Limpopo during that period (Mid/End of September)?
MIKE: Yes.
- Is the first route via Mapai to Mabote driveable and findable for those who are not really used to make these kind of trip (I made once a trip to Botswana by 4x4 with gps, but I have the impression that Mosambique is much more "wilder"...)?
MIKE: Yes and you will almost always find people to point the direction should you get lost.
- Is it perhaps possible to find a helping hand for the river-crossing (if necessary)?
MIKE: At Mapai there is a local crossing point where you pay R70, and 4x4 not needed.
- Would you recommend the alternative route via Maccaretane, while we actually not really know how to continue then in the best way?
MIKE: Go the Pafuri - Mapai - Machaila - Mabote - Mapinhane route.

Go well
Mike

Re: Trip Pafuri-Mapai-Machaila-Mabote-V​ilanculo or alt 1 year 7 months ago #9228

Hi again

after reading your query again, here is what I suggest.

Enter Limpopo at Giriyondo then overnight at Mbona Kaya in the PNL. Then exit PNL at Mapai, cross Limpopo and bush-camp before, or after Machaila, depending on who far you get.

Then next day you can make it to the coast via Mabote, or perhaps overnight at Banamana if the Flamingos are nesting in the part of the lake that has water (most of it is usually dry).

I did a similar route in October 2012 and it is quite easy and very scenic too.

Mike

Re: Trip Pafuri-Mapai-Machaila-Mabote-V​ilanculo or alt 1 year 7 months ago #9230

Hi Mike,

wow - that is realy a quick reaction! Thanks a lot! We will take the route via Mapai and make a report when back.

We already start dreaming of our trip while it is cold and snowing here....
Best regards
Daniel

Re: Trip Pafuri-Mapai-Machaila-Mabote-V​ilanculo or alt 1 year 7 months ago #9232

Hi again

and if you would like a detailed dossier of info for your trip, please consider:
www.mozguide.com/index.php/about-mozguid...-guide-for-your-trip

Mike
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds